ANSWER: Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) provide protected connections across the Internet. An organization that requires you to connect via a VPN will generally help you set up the VPN connection on your end. Once the organization gives you the relevant VPN settings, you can log into your router to configure those settings.
Note that at the bottom of the Status-->Connection page, you must select Enabled for the setting 'Obtain Automatically from MSO' under IPv4 DNS Server. VPN will not work if this setting is Disabled.
It is also possible to set up a VPN where you control both ends of the connection.
- Your computer must be connected to the router through Ethernet or WiFi.
- Open up a browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.) and type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar. There should be a blue page with the Motorola logo that says Welcome.
- Type admin for the username and motorola for the password. Click on Login.
- Click on Advanced on the top right hand corner.
- Click on VPN and then choose either the IPSec page or the L2TP/PPTP This depends on what kind of VPN your organization tells you they have, or that you want to set up.
- Enter the required information for your configuration, and click Save where applicable.
For an explanation of VPN and various sample set ups, visit page 52 here: http://motorolacable.com/documents/MG7550-UserManual-revB.pdf .