This guide applies to the Motorola MG8702, MG8725, and MT8733 devices.
A firewall helps protect your modem-router and the devices attached to it from outside harm connecting via the Internet. The Motorola MG8702, MG8725, and MT8733 come with reasonable firewall settings preconfigured. The firewall allows all normal traffic to pass, but protects against well-known attacks. Normally, the default firewall settings will suit your needs.
To change the firewall settings, follow the below instructions.
- Log into the Configuration Manager by navigating to 192.168.0.1 in the address bar of your browser.
- Log in using the username "admin" and the unique password found on the label under the device, then click the Login button.
- You will be directed to the Basic Status and Settings page. Select Advanced button at the top of the screen.
- Next, click on the Protection & Parental Control menu link and then select the Firewall Basic submenu link.
- Make the applicable firewall changes from the Firewall Basic page. After making a change, be sure to click the Save button to the right of the option.
- The firewall allows you to set your protection level through IPv4 Firewall Protection, for example. By default, with the Low setting, all services are allowed. If you select Medium or High protection, the firewall will block all services except those listed in the List of Allowed Services at the bottom of the page. Select the desired protection level, and click Save.
Things to consider...
- The higher protection levels will make it harder for attackers to penetrate your network. You may find that if you select one of these levels, that some Internet activities may fail. If that is the case, you may need to use a lower level of protection during those activities.
- Note that in order to play some games, you may need to turn protection off.
- When enabled, Port Scan Detection and IP Flood Detection will generate reports in the Firewall Log if they detect attacks of their respective types.